MIAMI HERALD-MOBILE HOME PARK CLOSING
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, May 15, 2002
Dania development advances
BY HECTOR FLORIN
The Dania Beach commission on Tuesday night moved significantly
closer to approving a 427-unit townhome development on the current site
of a mobile home park.
With a unanimous vote, the commission preliminarily approved the
rezoning and mapping request submitted by MKN Investors for the 35-acre
lot west of Interstate 95 and south of Griffin Road.
The commission may approve these requests and will discuss the site
plan at the May 28 meeting.
Development plans originally drew the ire of most of the residents of
the 239-unit park at a planning and zoning board meeting last month.
Many claimed they were not given advance notice to relocate, which is
required under state law, from park owner Robert Halliday.
The townhome developer, however, has nearly completed a deal with the
mobile home park residents to help with their relocation.
MKN investors has agreed to put $250,000 into an account to be
managed by the residents' attorney -- Louis St. Laurent -- and a park
relocation specialist to help residents with special needs.
Additionally, residents who submit relocation plans within the next
six months will be given a $300 stipend for each month.
The deal was approved by St. Laurent and the park's board of
directors at a meeting on Sunday.
St. Laurent said if 75 percent of the residents approve the deal this
week, it will be final.
"This is the best of a bad situation," said Commissioner John
"It's getting you the best deal that can be gotten at this time."